View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2014, 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Biggest Need isn't the Secondary Anymore 
NFL Veteran

Post Biggest Need isn't the Secondary Anymore
I know there was a defense deficiency thread somewhere down here but I can't find it. Anyway, thought it'd be relevant here.

A strange thing happened somewhere between the off season and now, where our biggest hole went from the secondary to the linebacking corps. Thanks in part to the emergence of Alphonso "Carlton Banks" Smith. And some decent play by Chris Houston. Wade has been a mixed bag. CC Brown too. Guy can lay the wood, but has been caught out of position more than my liking. And of course Delmas is good considering he's injured. I think he's 'learning' to play with the groin injury. Also someone who was a pleasant surprise was Aaron Berry, even though he's now on IR. But that guy had a knack for play making much like Carlton does.

Meanwhile. Mayhew lets Foote walk. He trades away Sims for Scheffler. Jordan Dizon - who I believe the lions where expecting big things out of him this year - is lost for the season. DeAndre Levy gets his groin messed up, and then his ankle. And we have Landon Johnson, a special teams ace, filling when Follet gets a concussion, and then whenever Levy is out. Now what made me want to write this post, is when I saw Landon Johnson go down to finally have Havner put in. And then Havner goes down. That's it. Who goes in next? Ekejuiba? Is he even active? Fortunately Johnson was able to return. Follet, has been disappointing, but I think most are unfair in their expectations of him. He's made a big leap from 7th rounder to ST ace, to starting WSLB. Unfortunately the growing pains are magnified because the quality of LB around him is so poor that they are unable to protect him. He may make a great LB someday, but now is just not the time. Julian Peterson is the big surprise. Not because of his play, but because he was kept in spite of his huge contract. Why couldn't we at least keep Foote, who would've been just a few more peanuts" Plus he genuinely wanted to stay. We needed stop gaps. Not mobile corpses in our linebacking crew. But anyway Peterson has been pleasant at least. Seeing him burned in coverage early, and now seeing him get the hang of it, really speaks volumes of his skill and talent level. Here's a guy whose been asked to play downhill all his life, and now we have him chasing players in coverage. That Pass Defense preventing the touchdown yesterday was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, I think now it's painfully obvious that unless Mayhew does his magic before the Oct 19 deadline, our strategy for the upcoming offseason will be altered. I think most have had the thought that we were going to heavily shore up our secondary next year. But now it's clear that the bigger hole is Linebacker. We need a starting caliber WSLB. Someone to groom as a future SSLB. And depth all around.

Depth Chart
Will: 1. Hole 2. Zack Follet
Mike: 1. DeAndre Levy 2. Jordan Dizon/Hole
Sam: 1. Julian Peterson 2. Future Starter 3. Jordan Dizon

Wanted: Based on our scheme, we need versatile LB's more so than ones that specialize in pass rushing or just coverage. Our focus is on the DLine which is primarily supposed to hold most of the responsibilities. They are to provide pressure with just 4, leaving the LB's to coverage. But at times Gun will not hesitate to bring extra pressure. So we hold a premium on LB's that excel in coverage, but also can blitz when needed.

So how do we fix this?

Free Agency according to Footballsfuture.com

Quote:
2011 NFL Free Agent Linebackers
By: Roshan Bhagat

Lamarr Woodley, PIT – Woodley has developed into the league’s best left outside linebacker, forming a terrifying tandem in Pittsburgh. The two have accounted for 50 combined sacks over the last 2 years. With that in mind, Pittsburgh won’t let Woodley get away.

David Harris, NYJ – Though Harris is one of the league’s best, young linebackers, the Jets may just not have the money to pay him. They’re looking at extensions to Revis, Mangold, and Ferguson in the next 2 years, in addition to a pair of free agent receivers and nearly acquired Antonio Cromartie. They’ll most likely make Harris one of their top priorities after the big 3, but Harris may be able to get more money elsewhere if he isn’t tagged. We’ll see what he decides.

David Hawthorne, SEA – At 25, Hawthorne is another one of the league’s emerging linebackers. He’s relatively unknown, but was outstanding in Lofa Tatupu’s absence a year ago. Racking up 117 tackles, 4 sacks, 8 stuffs, and 3 interceptions, it wouldn’t be surprising to see a team make a big play at Hawthorne and the throw the bank and pry him from Seattle via restricted free agency.

Shawne Merriman, SD – Merriman has a lot riding on this upcoming year for his financial future. Coming off injury, his mere 4-sack season didn’t seem as disappointing, but he can’t afford to let that happen again. This will most likely be his last year in San Diego based on their other free agents-to-be, but he won’t be able to break the bank on his name alone. He needs to return to form.

Kirk Morrison, JAC – The Jaguars were smart in acquiring Kirk Morrison who has received a mixed bag of opinions from pundits. To some he’s a great run stopper, but to others he just racks up garbage tackles and is at least partially at fault for the leaky Raiders run defense. This year will squash the debate and we should get to see the real Kirk Morrison.

Paul Posluszny, BUF – Posluszny had his best season to date, yet still missed 4 games. If he can stay on the field, he has the potential to become of the league’s best middle linebackers. Unless he struggles moving to the 3-4, the Bills will be glad to have him for many years to come.

Chad Greenway, MIN – For three years, Greenway has been a consistent linebacker for the Vikings. He’s an instinctive, well-rounded player who is effective in taking on any assignments. With a lack of depth at linebacker, the Vikings won’t allow Greenway to walk away.

Manny Lawson, SF – Word from the Lawson camp indicates that the former 1st round pick is looking for a contract similar to the one Calvin Pace received a few years back (6 years, $42 million). With only 12 sacks in his 4 year career (6.5 last year), he’ll receive a rude awakening if he doesn’t come to his senses soon. Unless he takes a huge stride forward, he’ll find little luck in free agency.

Other Notable Free Agents: Stephen Nicholas, ATL
Mike Peterson, ATL
Antwan Barnes, BAL
Tavares Gooden, BAL
Keith Ellison, BUF
Thomas Davis, CAR
Nick Roach, CHI
Pisa Tinoisamoa, CHI
Rashad Jeanty, CIN
Dhani Jones, CIN
Chris Gocong, CLE
D'Qwell Jackson, CLE
Desmond Bishop, GB
Zach Diles, HOU
Clint Session, IND
Justin Durant, JAC
Mike Vrabel, KC
Derrick Johnson, KC
Tim Dobbins, MIA
Ben Leber, MIN
Erin Henderson, MIN
Gary Guyton, NE
Scott Shanle, NO
Clint Ingram, NO
Thomas Howard, OAK
Ricky Brown, OAK
Ernie Sims, PHI
Akeem Jordan, PHI
Stewart Bradley, PHI
Omar Gaither, PHI
Stephen Cooper, SD
Kevin Burnett, SD
Brandon Siler, SD
Takeo Spikes, SF
David Vobora, STL
Angelo Crowell, TB
Quincy Black, TB
Barrett Ruud, TB
David Thornton, TEN
Stephen Tulloch, TEN
Rocky McIntosh, WAS

I leave the discussion to you guys who you think would be good fits, but I'm not all that impressed with this list. A lot of one dimensional guys, and 3-4 backers. Quickly looking. My favorite is obviously Derrick Johnson. But Posluszny and Seattle's Hawthorne look the profile of who the Lions would target.

The other area is the draft. I love the depth of corners in the draft. But I also think it's a good/not great year for LB's. DE is also solid, but I think unless a DE is grossly the BPA, we will probably pass on them.

The perfect LB for our system is Akeem Ayers. He's not my favorite, but the guy can cover. Excellent ball skills for a LB.

According to Scouts Inc.

Quote:

Outside Linebackers
Name Pos Ht Wt School Grade Pos. Rank Overall Rank
Akeem Ayers OLB 6'3¾" 249 UCLA 93 1 14
Travis Lewis OLB 6'2" 232 Oklahoma 91 2 21
Bruce Carter OLB 6'3" 225 North Carolina 90 3 26
Von Miller OLB 6'3" 238 Texas A&M 89 4 28
Jeremy Beal OLB 6'3" 263 Oklahoma 85 5 47
Kelvin Sheppard OLB 6'2" 244 LSU 84 6 53
Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 247 Boston College 83 7 54
Colin McCarthy OLB 6'2½" 240 Miami (FL) 77 8 86
Brandon Hicks OLB 6'1½" 222 Florida 73 9 108
Kenneth Wright OLB 6'3" 243 Mississippi State 70 10 124
Dontay Moch OLB 6'1½" 236 Nevada 64 11 136

Middle Linebackers
Quan Sturdivant ILB 6'1⅞" 227 North Carolina 86 1 38
Dont'a Hightower ILB 6'3½" 256 Alabama 82 2 61
Greg Jones ILB 6'1" 237 Michigan State 77 3 85
Ross Homan ILB 6'0" 232 Ohio State 76 4 91
Nate Irving ILB 6'1" 231 North Carolina State 75 5 92
Chris Galippo ILB 6'1½" 248 USC 73 6 106
Alex Wujciak ILB 6'2½" 245 Maryland 60 7 145

I hate scouts inc. but at least this provides a list to look over. I like Bruce Carter and I think his stock hit might make him someone to target if we can make some creative trades. I watch virtually all LSU games for Peterson, and come away impressed with Sheppard. He plays with a great motor. I think he can be had on day 2. Greg Jones is another guy who we can target later. Dontay Moch is intriguing only because he allegedly runs a ridiculous 40. He plays DE, but with his measurables he might be a project to groom. Anybody who can run a 4.26 40 is someone you take a long look at. I love the heart that Herzlich plays with, but obviously he will be poked and prodded extra carefully after recovering from cancer and having a rod stuck in his leg for reinforcement.

Couple names not on the lists. MLB Revez from Tennessee is a guy whose name I wrote down, because he was great in coverage when they played LSU. And one guy whose getting pub for being the only 2-way starter is Owen Marecic from Standford. He is also a starting FB. He's just got football in his DNA. Never really focused on him, but he might be a day 3 guy to take a flier on.

Anyway, I still want Peterson/Amakamura or Ras-I Dowling on our team. But at this point compared to our LB. It's a almost a luxury. We may get by with Houston/Smith starting. Berry in the Nickel. And Wade adding depth. My heart want one of the corners, but my head says we can not neglect the LB's. Hopefully we can get creative and get a corner and one of these talented backers.

Thoughts?

October 11th, 2010, 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Re: Biggest Need isn't the Secondary Anymore
I still think at this point we will be targeting a CB in the first just because of the studs that will be available and I think the CB talent far exceeds the LB talent.

I can see us finding starting LB's in the 2nd and 3rd round, as it is usually easier to find cover LB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Regardless of how the draft pans out, I envision us drafting multiple DB's and LB's in this years draft.

To touch on some FA's LB's from your list I would like to see targeted

Greenway, (Obviously this would be a amazing signing however I don't see MN letting him go, and even if so I don't see him showing a lot of interest here)

Derrick Johnson, (I don't think KC is going to struggle to hard to keep him, and I think he is a very possible option for us, and he would fit our scheme perfect, not to mention Gun has history with him so it's possible DJ could be the guy that Gun shows up at his door to sway him to Detroit.)

Barrett Ruud, (I have always been a fan of Ruud's not sure if he would fit in as a OLB, however even if not I would not mind seeing Levy swung back outside and letting Ruud be our future centerpiece, I really think he fits better then Levy in the middle.)

October 11th, 2010, 6:49 am
RIP Killer

The secondary wasn't the biggest need after week 1. It's only taken people 5 weeks to realize that. Follett starting was a mistake, but somehow people actually thought he was ready.

October 11th, 2010, 8:03 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Corner is going to be a big need at some point, especially if Spievey is going to play SS, but I do agree that we're going to need a LB stat. I don't know why everyone is so sold on Levy being the answer in the middle. I'm not. First off, he can't stay healthy. That is a big concern. Secondly, he didn't play a whole lot of Mike last year anyway. He played a few games, but is that all we're going off of? Mike can be addressed and we can move Levy outside.

October 11th, 2010, 9:08 am
RIP Killer

LB is our biggest issue...

October 11th, 2010, 9:56 am
RIP Killer

Actually, this is a very good development. I think we all knew LB was a position of need heading into the 2011 draft, the real surprise is that our secondary isn't as weak as we thought it was going to be. The DL has helped our DBs, but the coverage and tackling is still much better than what I would have thought. In addition, our OL has played better than I would have thought slowing down the sense of urgency we were feeling there as well.

Depending on what the Lions do in FA, things are looking up and they should really be able to employ a BPA approach for the most part, especially later in the draft. First thing we need to do is take care of our own key FA's who I see as Shaun Hill, Tony Scheffler, and Chris Houston. You can look at guys like Kevin Smith but I think he is easy to replace.

Assuming we resign these guys Baring injuries, the Lions can pretty much rule out QB, TE, RB, WR, DT, DE and FS as areas of significant need. I'm not going to get into OL here, it is what it is and there are spots that could be uprgraded. CB with Houston and Smith gives you a few pieces to work with - would love to see one of them at nickel next season meaning we have upgraded a starting spot. SS still could use some work but LB, especially the Will as Blue pointed out is the biggest need and we need depth everywhere along the group. FA could change things dramatically heading into the draft, should be a real fun offseason.

October 11th, 2010, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Hill has a 2 yr deal, so he's good through next season. Scheff is a key resign though.

October 11th, 2010, 10:53 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'm beginning to believe that LB is our biggest need as of right now but I'm also thinking that Mayhew and Schwartz may approach the next draft and select the BPA at either LB, CB, or OL regardless of what round the pick is made.

October 11th, 2010, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
Hill has a 2 yr deal, so he's good through next season.

phew, cause I saw quite a few games yesterday where Hill would have been a big upgrade. At QB, I'd like to see the Lions go into the season with Staff, Hill and an UFA on the practice squad. Save a roster spot.

October 11th, 2010, 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Mayhew has been building this team by:
A. Not overpaying free agents (Burleson and KVB got big contracts I suppose)
B. Following a BPA draft strategy (Maybe deviated a couple times)
C. Making great trades

The problem is compounded by the fact that we have no idea where our LBs stand after this season, are we going to keep Peterson, will Levy remain in the middle?

I suspect we will try to fix our LB group in free agency. I think Manny Lawson would be a great replacement for Peterson but I do not think I would give him Calvin Pace money. Thomas Davis would be another good option if he rebounds from injury. Ruud or Tulloch could be choices if we move Levy to Weak side. David Hawthorne may be a solid option also.

October 11th, 2010, 11:18 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I thought Shaun Hill re-upped for another year during camp. He should be good to go from there. I don't think we can rule out a CB just because Smith & Houston are playing decently now. A true #1 might be found in round 1 and that would make the D look a whole lot better; Patrick Patterson & Prince Amukamara come to mind.

Will obviously needs to be upgraded, but it doesn't necessarily need to come in the form of a round 1 pick. Rounds 2 & 3 can give us starters and depth.

October 11th, 2010, 12:15 pm
QB Coach

I posted this in another thread but I'll repeat it for discussion.

How long does it take to develop a good LB?

ZF was a 7th rounder who made a name on ST, he then gets the nod for a starting position, and is now getting live game time experience.

How long does it take to get a Stephen Boyd, or Chris Spielman type development, or is it something that they have coming in?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 11th, 2010, 12:35 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DevilDoc wrote:
I posted this in another thread but I'll repeat it for discussion.

How long does it take to develop a good LB?

ZF was a 7th rounder who made a name on ST, he then gets the nod for a starting position, and is now getting live game time experience.

How long does it take to get a Stephen Boyd, or Chris Spielman type development, or is it something that they have coming in?

I have a related question. How long does it take to polish a turd? :lol:

October 11th, 2010, 1:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wonder how much Mike Peterson will want

October 11th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
I know there was a defense deficiency thread somewhere down here but I can't find it. Anyway, thought it'd be relevant here.

A strange thing happened somewhere between the off season and now, where our biggest hole went from the secondary to the linebacking corps. Thanks in part to the emergence of Alphonso "Carlton Banks" Smith. And some decent play by Chris Houston. Wade has been a mixed bag. CC Brown too. Guy can lay the wood, but has been caught out of position more than my liking. And of course Delmas is good considering he's injured. I think he's 'learning' to play with the groin injury. Also someone who was a pleasant surprise was Aaron Berry, even though he's now on IR. But that guy had a knack for play making much like Carlton does.

Meanwhile. Mayhew lets Foote walk. He trades away Sims for Scheffler. Jordan Dizon - who I believe the lions where expecting big things out of him this year - is lost for the season. DeAndre Levy gets his groin messed up, and then his ankle. And we have Landon Johnson, a special teams ace, filling when Follet gets a concussion, and then whenever Levy is out. Now what made me want to write this post, is when I saw Landon Johnson go down to finally have Havner put in. And then Havner goes down. That's it. Who goes in next? Ekejuiba? Is he even active? Fortunately Johnson was able to return. Follet, has been disappointing, but I think most are unfair in their expectations of him. He's made a big leap from 7th rounder to ST ace, to starting WSLB. Unfortunately the growing pains are magnified because the quality of LB around him is so poor that they are unable to protect him. He may make a great LB someday, but now is just not the time. Julian Peterson is the big surprise. Not because of his play, but because he was kept in spite of his huge contract. Why couldn't we at least keep Foote, who would've been just a few more peanuts" Plus he genuinely wanted to stay. We needed stop gaps. Not mobile corpses in our linebacking crew. But anyway Peterson has been pleasant at least. Seeing him burned in coverage early, and now seeing him get the hang of it, really speaks volumes of his skill and talent level. Here's a guy whose been asked to play downhill all his life, and now we have him chasing players in coverage. That Pass Defense preventing the touchdown yesterday was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, I think now it's painfully obvious that unless Mayhew does his magic before the Oct 19 deadline, our strategy for the upcoming offseason will be altered. I think most have had the thought that we were going to heavily shore up our secondary next year. But now it's clear that the bigger hole is Linebacker. We need a starting caliber WSLB. Someone to groom as a future SSLB. And depth all around.

Depth Chart
Will: 1. Hole 2. Zack Follet
Mike: 1. DeAndre Levy 2. Jordan Dizon/Hole
Sam: 1. Julian Peterson 2. Future Starter 3. Jordan Dizon

Wanted: Based on our scheme, we need versatile LB's more so than ones that specialize in pass rushing or just coverage. Our focus is on the DLine which is primarily supposed to hold most of the responsibilities. They are to provide pressure with just 4, leaving the LB's to coverage. But at times Gun will not hesitate to bring extra pressure. So we hold a premium on LB's that excel in coverage, but also can blitz when needed.

So how do we fix this?

Free Agency according to Footballsfuture.com

Quote:
2011 NFL Free Agent Linebackers
By: Roshan Bhagat

Lamarr Woodley, PIT – Woodley has developed into the league’s best left outside linebacker, forming a terrifying tandem in Pittsburgh. The two have accounted for 50 combined sacks over the last 2 years. With that in mind, Pittsburgh won’t let Woodley get away.

David Harris, NYJ – Though Harris is one of the league’s best, young linebackers, the Jets may just not have the money to pay him. They’re looking at extensions to Revis, Mangold, and Ferguson in the next 2 years, in addition to a pair of free agent receivers and nearly acquired Antonio Cromartie. They’ll most likely make Harris one of their top priorities after the big 3, but Harris may be able to get more money elsewhere if he isn’t tagged. We’ll see what he decides.

David Hawthorne, SEA – At 25, Hawthorne is another one of the league’s emerging linebackers. He’s relatively unknown, but was outstanding in Lofa Tatupu’s absence a year ago. Racking up 117 tackles, 4 sacks, 8 stuffs, and 3 interceptions, it wouldn’t be surprising to see a team make a big play at Hawthorne and the throw the bank and pry him from Seattle via restricted free agency.

Shawne Merriman, SD – Merriman has a lot riding on this upcoming year for his financial future. Coming off injury, his mere 4-sack season didn’t seem as disappointing, but he can’t afford to let that happen again. This will most likely be his last year in San Diego based on their other free agents-to-be, but he won’t be able to break the bank on his name alone. He needs to return to form.

Kirk Morrison, JAC – The Jaguars were smart in acquiring Kirk Morrison who has received a mixed bag of opinions from pundits. To some he’s a great run stopper, but to others he just racks up garbage tackles and is at least partially at fault for the leaky Raiders run defense. This year will squash the debate and we should get to see the real Kirk Morrison.

Paul Posluszny, BUF – Posluszny had his best season to date, yet still missed 4 games. If he can stay on the field, he has the potential to become of the league’s best middle linebackers. Unless he struggles moving to the 3-4, the Bills will be glad to have him for many years to come.

Chad Greenway, MIN – For three years, Greenway has been a consistent linebacker for the Vikings. He’s an instinctive, well-rounded player who is effective in taking on any assignments. With a lack of depth at linebacker, the Vikings won’t allow Greenway to walk away.

Manny Lawson, SF – Word from the Lawson camp indicates that the former 1st round pick is looking for a contract similar to the one Calvin Pace received a few years back (6 years, $42 million). With only 12 sacks in his 4 year career (6.5 last year), he’ll receive a rude awakening if he doesn’t come to his senses soon. Unless he takes a huge stride forward, he’ll find little luck in free agency.

Other Notable Free Agents: Stephen Nicholas, ATL
Mike Peterson, ATL
Antwan Barnes, BAL
Tavares Gooden, BAL
Keith Ellison, BUF
Thomas Davis, CAR
Nick Roach, CHI
Pisa Tinoisamoa, CHI
Rashad Jeanty, CIN
Dhani Jones, CIN
Chris Gocong, CLE
D'Qwell Jackson, CLE
Desmond Bishop, GB
Zach Diles, HOU
Clint Session, IND
Justin Durant, JAC
Mike Vrabel, KC
Derrick Johnson, KC
Tim Dobbins, MIA
Ben Leber, MIN
Erin Henderson, MIN
Gary Guyton, NE
Scott Shanle, NO
Clint Ingram, NO
Thomas Howard, OAK
Ricky Brown, OAK
Ernie Sims, PHI
Akeem Jordan, PHI
Stewart Bradley, PHI
Omar Gaither, PHI
Stephen Cooper, SD
Kevin Burnett, SD
Brandon Siler, SD
Takeo Spikes, SF
David Vobora, STL
Angelo Crowell, TB
Quincy Black, TB
Barrett Ruud, TB
David Thornton, TEN
Stephen Tulloch, TEN
Rocky McIntosh, WAS

I leave the discussion to you guys who you think would be good fits, but I'm not all that impressed with this list. A lot of one dimensional guys, and 3-4 backers. Quickly looking. My favorite is obviously Derrick Johnson. But Posluszny and Seattle's Hawthorne look the profile of who the Lions would target.

The other area is the draft. I love the depth of corners in the draft. But I also think it's a good/not great year for LB's. DE is also solid, but I think unless a DE is grossly the BPA, we will probably pass on them.

The perfect LB for our system is Akeem Ayers. He's not my favorite, but the guy can cover. Excellent ball skills for a LB.

According to Scouts Inc.

Quote:

Outside Linebackers
Name Pos Ht Wt School Grade Pos. Rank Overall Rank
Akeem Ayers OLB 6'3¾" 249 UCLA 93 1 14
Travis Lewis OLB 6'2" 232 Oklahoma 91 2 21
Bruce Carter OLB 6'3" 225 North Carolina 90 3 26
Von Miller OLB 6'3" 238 Texas A&M 89 4 28
Jeremy Beal OLB 6'3" 263 Oklahoma 85 5 47
Kelvin Sheppard OLB 6'2" 244 LSU 84 6 53
Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 247 Boston College 83 7 54
Colin McCarthy OLB 6'2½" 240 Miami (FL) 77 8 86
Brandon Hicks OLB 6'1½" 222 Florida 73 9 108
Kenneth Wright OLB 6'3" 243 Mississippi State 70 10 124
Dontay Moch OLB 6'1½" 236 Nevada 64 11 136

Middle Linebackers
Quan Sturdivant ILB 6'1⅞" 227 North Carolina 86 1 38
Dont'a Hightower ILB 6'3½" 256 Alabama 82 2 61
Greg Jones ILB 6'1" 237 Michigan State 77 3 85
Ross Homan ILB 6'0" 232 Ohio State 76 4 91
Nate Irving ILB 6'1" 231 North Carolina State 75 5 92
Chris Galippo ILB 6'1½" 248 USC 73 6 106
Alex Wujciak ILB 6'2½" 245 Maryland 60 7 145

I hate scouts inc. but at least this provides a list to look over. I like Bruce Carter and I think his stock hit might make him someone to target if we can make some creative trades. I watch virtually all LSU games for Peterson, and come away impressed with Sheppard. He plays with a great motor. I think he can be had on day 2. Greg Jones is another guy who we can target later. Dontay Moch is intriguing only because he allegedly runs a ridiculous 40. He plays DE, but with his measurables he might be a project to groom. Anybody who can run a 4.26 40 is someone you take a long look at. I love the heart that Herzlich plays with, but obviously he will be poked and prodded extra carefully after recovering from cancer and having a rod stuck in his leg for reinforcement.

Couple names not on the lists. MLB Revez from Tennessee is a guy whose name I wrote down, because he was great in coverage when they played LSU. And one guy whose getting pub for being the only 2-way starter is Owen Marecic from Standford. He is also a starting FB. He's just got football in his DNA. Never really focused on him, but he might be a day 3 guy to take a flier on.

Anyway, I still want Peterson/Amakamura or Ras-I Dowling on our team. But at this point compared to our LB. It's a almost a luxury. We may get by with Houston/Smith starting. Berry in the Nickel. And Wade adding depth. My heart want one of the corners, but my head says we can not neglect the LB's. Hopefully we can get creative and get a corner and one of these talented backers.

Thoughts?

They could of drafted David Harris but Millen instead took a stud QB Drew Stanton Ha!!!!. Any wonder why they have been bad for so long.

October 11th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next